1. The competition is open to everyone; it is not required to register for the Vocal Asia Festival.
2. All singers should be 16 years old or above, each group is made up of 3 to 8 members.
⊙ Attentions for the Final Competition
1. 8 groups at most will be selected to enter the final competition. The final groups will be announced on June 12 via Vocal Asia Festival website, and please confirm your attendance via email before June 19.
2. The competition order will be determined through drawing lots, and the result will be announced on July 13 via Vocal Asia Festival website and via email.
3. The final groups should send the scores in JPG or PDF file to email@example.com before July 9 (The group should be responsible for all copyright issues.)
4. Each group has one chance to change the competition song list and singers (no more than one third of the group members) before July 9. No changes will be accepted after the deadline.
5. The mic sheet sample will be provided on June 12, and please return the mic sheet before July 9. Please note that no mic sheets will be accepted after the deadline. If the mic sheet is not handed in, the group will need to do microphone settings within the 15 minutes sound check time.
6. Singers are not permitted to participate in more than 1 group.
7. For groups that will bring their own equipment, please provide the tech list before June 30. The setting time will be scheduled on the morning of the competition day, please make sure to be present for it.
8. Sound check will be held on the morning and afternoon of the competition day (15 minutes per group). A detailed schedule will be provided on July 28. Please make sure to be present for your sound check.
9. Please hand in all required materials on time, or it may affect your competition rights.
1. Number of singers: 3-8 per group. Up to 8 handheld wireless microphones will be provided.
2. The time limit for each group is 12 minutes (no limitation for number of songs). All songs should be in 3 or more different voice parts.
3. There is no limitation on song selections, but it is encouraged to include songs that represent characteristics of your culture and country.
4. The competition is judged on a point basis. Group that receives the highest score will be the champion.
5. A timekeeper will be started when the pitch is given. A penalty of 0.5 points will be imposed for every 30 seconds exceeding the time limit.
6. The contestant should take care of all copyright issues of the scores. The organizer will not take any responsibility on copyright issue.
7. Groups are allowed to bring ONE sound engineer. During the sound check and the competition, the sound engineer is allowed to operate the mixing console under the supervision of the organization’s (VAF) chief sound engineer. Information related to the sound equipment will be provided on June 23.
8. Groups are allowed to use their own equipment, operated by their sound engineer, during the sound check and the competition. Please provide a complete tech list before June 30.
9. Groups that use IEM during the competition are allowed to give a sign-in click or pitch through IEM. However, cue tracks and click tracks are NOT allowed.
10. For groups that use the loop station during the competition, pre-recorded vocal tracks are NOT allowed.
11. There will be no lighting effects during the competition.
12. Groups dropping out for any reason will not receive a refund.
⊙ Rights and duties
1. The 1st Prize winner will perform in the Gala Concert on August 15.
2. The 1st Prize winner will be invited to perform at the Shanghai A Cappella Festival in July 2021.
3. The group who wins the VoiceJam Award will be invited to perform at the VoiceJam Festival (USA) in April 2021.
4. Participants are not allowed to record audio or video during the competition.
5. The organizer reserves all rights to make edits and publications, via any media, of any recordings, videotapes and photography of all the aforementioned activities.
6. Judges will be available for comments directly after the competition. No written comments will be provided.
7. It is understood that each group that participates in this competition fully accepts the rules and regulations above.
⊙ Judging Criteria
The jury consists of the instructors from the festival and other professional judges. Each judge will rate each group in terms of its vocal, visual and overall impact.
1) The payment of prize, except for the 1st Prize, will be provided in cash after the competition, and each group should assign a representative to receive the prize.
2) The payment of the 1st Prize will be provided in cash AFTER the winning group performs at the Gala Concert on August 15.
3) If two or more groups win the same prize due to a tie score, then the award will be equally split between the groups.
4) The winner of VoiceJam Award will be determined by the VoiceJam Artistic Director, and the Prize may only be claimed after completing the memorandum with the organizer before October 31, 2020.
- Please check here for competition information.