⊙ About the competition
Asian Cup A Cappella Competition has been held during the Vocal Asia Festival since 2012. It is one of the biggest A Cappella competitions in the world with an outstandingly high level. The competition aimed not only to promote contemporary A Cappella music, but also to ignite singers’ passion toward A Cappella. Through the competition, the talented A Cappella groups around Asia will get the chance to present the music and culture of their own countries.
1. The competition is open to everyone; it is not required to register the Vocal Asia Festival.
2. All singers should be 18 years old or above, each group is made up from 3 to 8 members.
3. Each group is required to pay the Entry Fee of $50 USD for preliminary selection.
The jury consists of the instructors from the festival and other professional judges.
1. Please read this notice and fill out the application form thoroughly.
2. Each group should send 2 high quality videos or rehearsal audio files recorded in the past 3 months for preliminary selection (web links of videos are acceptable). Please note that pitch and time editing is not allowed.
3. 8 groups at most will be selected to enter the final competition. The result will be announced on June 12, and please confirm your attendance before June 19.
4. The final groups should send the scores in JPG or PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 26. (The group should be responsible for all copyright issue.)
5. Each group has one chance to change the competition song list and singers (no more than one third of the group members) before June 26. No changes will be accepted after the deadline.
6. For groups that will bring their own equipment, please provide the tech list before June 26.
7. Singers are not permitted to participate in more than 1 group.
8. The competition order and mic sheet sample will be provided on July 10, and please return the mic sheet before July 22. Please note that no mic sheets will be accepted after the deadline, the group that doesn’t hand in the sheet will need to do microphone settings within the 15 minutes sound check time.
9. Sound check will be held on the competition day (15 mins per group). The detailed schedule will be provided 2 weeks prior to the competition. Please make sure to be present for your sound check.
10. Please hand in all required materials on time, or it may affect your competition rights.
1. Number of singers: 3-8 per group. 8 handheld wireless microphones will be provided.
2. The time limit for each group is 12 minutes (no limitation for number of songs). All songs should be in 3 or more different voice parts.
3. There is no limitation on song selections, but it is encouraged to include songs that could represent the “signature” or “style” of your culture and country.
4. The competition is judged on a point basis. Group that a) reaches over 90 points and/or b) gets the highest score will be the champion.
5. A timekeeper will be started upon the pitch is given. The penalty for each exceeding 30 second is 0.5 point; 60 second is 1 point, and so on.
6. The contestant should take care of all copyright issues of the scores. The organizer will not take any responsibility on copyright issue.
7. Groups are allowed to bring ONE sound engineer. During the sound check and the competition, the sound engineer is allowed to operate the mixing console under the supervision of the organization’s chief sound engineer. Related information of the sound equipment will be provided 3 weeks prior to the competition.
8. Groups are allowed to use their equipment, operated by their sound engineer during the sound check and the competition. Please provide the tech list before June 26. The setting time will be scheduled on the morning/afternoon of August 9, please make sure to be present for it.
9. Groups which use IEM during the competition, please note it is allowed to give a sign in click or pitch through IEM. However, cue-tracks and click tracks are not allowed.
10. Groups which use loop station during the competition, please note pre-recorded vocal tracks are not allowed.
11. There will be no light effects during competition.
12. The competition order will be determined by means of drawing lots, and the result will be announced via Vocal Asia Festival website.
13. Groups dropping out for anything other than unforeseen circumstances will not receive a refund.
⊙ Rights and duties
1. The champion must perform in Gala Concert on August 11.
2. The champion will be invited to Shanghai A Cappella Festival in 2020.
3. The group who wins VoiceJam Award will be invited to the VoiceJam Festival (USA) in 2020.
4. Participants are not allowed to record/video during the competition.
5. Participants are not allowed to acclaim any right of the recording, videotapes and photography of all the activities mentioned above. The organizer reserves all rights of making edits and publications of the activities through media.
6. Judges will be available for comments directly after the competition. No written comments will be provided.
7. It is understood that each group participates in this competition fully accepts the rules and regulations above.
⊙ Judging Criteria
1. The payment of prize, except for the 1st Prize, will be made in cash after the competition, and each group should assign a representative to receive the prize.
2. The payment of the 1st Prize may only be claimed when the winner group performs in the Gala Concert on August 11, and it will be received after the concert.
3. If two or more groups win the same prize, the award will be equally shared.
4. The winner of VoiceJam Award will be determined by the VoiceJam Artistic Director.
5. Price of the VoiceJam Award may only be claimed after completed the memorandum with the organizer before October 31, 2019.